Wednesday, October 19, 2011

SHHHH...I want to LISTEN AND WRITE!

Hello to all!

I do hope that my previous suggested website have been beneficial to those who read my blog. In this post, I would like to introduce another website which can be used by students or teachers themselves to improve their skills in listening and writing.And as expected, the website is called- Listen and Write!
I'm not sure either this is their logo or not.hmmh...


WHAT IS IT?

It is a dictation tool. You can choose what you want to listen (from the list, of course), and then try to write what you had listened. This tool is quite helpful for those who want to improve their listening and writing skills. So, teachers out there, lets suggest this website for the students!:-)

WHO CAN USE IT

The activity in the website is suitable for the students who:
  • age 10 years old and above (Those students who are younger than 10 years old might not have the skill in using internet and computers)
  • all levels of English- beginner, intermediate and expert level (just choose your level before you start the audio)

HOW IT CAN BE USE IN TEACHING ENGLISH
  • as a additional practices for students to do at home.
Teachers can suggest the website, give a brief introduction about the website (try making the introduction 'tempting' enough so that students can't wait to go to the website after they get home!)  and ask them to try it themselves when they have free time.

*From my view, I don't think that Listen and Write should be used in the classroom as it is more towards independent practise. Teachers can use classroom time to do more interesting teaching than let students do the exercise alone. But it is up to you (teachers) where to use it as you know your students better than me.:-)



THEORY OF LEARNING USING THE TOOL
  • The tool can be used to promote autonomous learning among students. Students are suggested to do the listening practise at home. They are responsible on their own learning as the teacher are absent to guide them. 

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT IT
  • it exposes students with authentic language
  • promote autonomous(independent) learning
  • it develops students listening skills
  • it can improve students' spelling
  • it can be interesting way of learning 
  • most importantly, it is FREE!

THINGS I HATE ABOUT IT
  • currently, the topic in the audio/ video which are in the list are quite serious. Some students might not like to listen for the audio about the politics and other heavy topics. 
  • the choices of audio is limited especially in lower level(currently)

STEP BY STEP TO USE LISTEN AND WRITE?

Step 1: Go to LISTEN AND WRITE
Step 2: Select you level
Step 3: Choose the categories of audio that you would like 
            to listen
Step 4: Choose the audio
Step 5: Choose the mode 
Step 6: Listen to the audio carefully. Try to write exactly 
            what had been said in the audio
Step 7: Check your score

EXTRA INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW
  • the audio are broken into parts,so you will listen the audio in several parts.The audio will be repeated until you write the words correctly.
  • the audio will only move to the next part after you manage to write the words correctly.If not, it will keep repeating the same part (I found this quite annoying.huh)
  • but don't worry, if you stuck with the words, you can always click at the Hint button. The button will provide the next letter in the dictation.

Select the topic
Select the mode
Example how you will have to write while listen

Like usual, before I suggesting a website in my blog, I will try it first. Frankly, I do not think that the topic offered is interesting enough (definitely not the kind of topic that I chose to hear). But when I try to write what I had listened, I somehow got excited- especially when the computer said I'm good :-D

To find the truth how the website is, why don't you try it yourself? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment