Hye everyone who read this!
Today, I would like to share with you a website that uses music to learn foreign language, (in our case, its English language).It is Lyrics Training.com! From the name, we can easily guess that it is using lyrics as a tool for learning English. So, whoever said that music is a bad influence to students, you'd better think it again because Lyrics Training is making learning English much more interesting!(Why don't they create this website during my school days?...eughhh..)
WHAT IT IS?
Lyrics Training is a website that tests your listening skill in English or other foreign language. It offers students to learn new vocabulary (some lyrics have a lot of good vocabulary to learn from) while listening to the music. So, while you are learning, you can also enjoy and relax yourself!
WHO CAN USE IT
This activity is suitable for students who are:
- 13 years old and above (those ages when you start admiring music. I dont think young learners are interested in 'real life' music.Are they?..hmmm)
- beginner, intermediate and expert level of English (these levels are available to choose from this website)
HOW TO USE IT IN TEACHING ENGLISH
- as a listening activity in a classroom
The teacher can ask students to go to the website and choose a song for. All the students have to do the same song and the same level. When the teacher say 'Start',the students will have to do the Lyrics training activity. The students who finished doing it early will be the winner
Note: The activity can be done if there is enough computers for everyone,of course. Nobody (I think so) likes to share while doing something they like
- as a homework
the teacher can suggest the website to students so that they can do it at home. It will be a fun practise to sharpen their listening skill in English language.
THEORY OF LEARNING USING THE TOOL
- The tool can be used to promote autonomous learning among students. By doing the listening practise at home, students are responsible for their own learning. Autonomy is important in language learning as it more effective and solve the motivation issue (either the students are interested to engaged in the activity or not)
THINGS I LIKE ABOUT IT
- it helps to improve listening skills in foreign language
- it can enrich students vocabulary
- encourages autonomous learning
- it can expose students with different slang
- it is authentic material for learning
- it is fun :-)
- and of course because it is FREE!
THINGS I HATE ABOUT IT
- as it is using lyrics from songs, sometimes the language use in the songs is quite inappropriate.
- currently, the language offered is quite limited [luckily, they have English.:-)..]
- some of the songs in English use slang, thus it might be quite difficult for students to guess the words even they choose the beginner level
STEP BY STEP TO USE LYRICS TRAINING WEBSITE?
Step 1: Go to lyricstraining.com
Step 2: Choose the song you like (they have a long list of songs)
Step 3: Select your level ( beginner, intermediate or expert)
Step 4: As the music plays, the song lyrics appear. You have to
fill the missing words as the music played
Step 5: After the song end, they give you marks. So you can know
how good are you in listening the song.
EXTRA INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW
- If you get stuck (you do not know the missing word), do not take too long to think about it as they keep a record of your time-you might lose a lot of points if you take too long time to finish a song). Click Give up! button and they will give you the missing word
- The website is free, but if you set up for an account, you can save the results of your work.
|Choose your song|
|Choose your level|
|While listening to the song, fill in the missing words|
Before I posted this post, I already tried this website. I tried with Cant stop by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It takes me some time to do it = I got low mark (I felt quite dissappointed. sobs..T_T).
But after that, I tried Avril Lavigne songs (all of them that are available) and I got quite high marks. wee~.I'm so happy. I guess your marks also depend on how deep you love the artists.haha.:p
There is no need for me to keep babbling, you should try the website yourself. Good luck with your first try!