For this entry, I would like to share with you a website which provides millions of text corpus. Its Bitish National Corpus by British Young University (BYU-BNC. Corpus is a collection of texts. Sounds complicated? Don't worry. I will help you to understand. (I also in your situation when I first heard the word.;p)
WHAT IS IT?
It is websites which stores a 100-million-word text corpus of samples of written and spoken English from a wide range of sources. It is good for language learning as people can check how the language is used based on its frequency.
WHO CAN USE IT?
The tool is suitable for students who are:
- beginner, intermediate and expert level of English
HOW TO USE THE TOOL IN LANGUAGE LEARNING
- the collocation games
Teacher prepare a pre-prepared slide of words. I each slide, teacher write one words. Then, in class, teacher divide students into 2 big groups. They are asked to guess the best word that go with the sentences. The teacher then can check the concordance lines in class. (believe me, its fun!)
THEORY OF LEARNING USING THE TOOL
- The tool promotes autonomous learning, where students can always look for the concordance by themselves at home. Autonomy is important in independent learning as it built students' confidence and knowledge.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT
- It is authentic-the examples of words are all based on the real life usage
- It prepare students with real life words
- It is FREE!
WHAT I HATE ABOUT IT
- It is too wordy. There are lots of words and it sometimes make students lost interest in a short time
- The website is too plain-nothing colorful or fun.
STEP BY STEP USING BYU-BNC
Step 1: Go to British National Corpus
Step 2: Enter the text that you want to look up
Step 3: You got lots of example of the sentences using the word
|how it looks like|
Okay. I hope I do provide you with some help for the website. Have fun using concordance!:-)